Friday, October 12, 2012

KCWC Days 3-4 Jailhouse Shirt

Lesson learned:  Think long and hard about which way you wants strips to go on a shirt.  Widthwise may seem like a good idea, but maybe its not a good idea when you have a centre front seam and a grey strip that may lead you to have an uneven shirt the resembles jailhouse couture.


Ha, oh well, at least I finally made the Easy Linen Shirt from the Sewing for Boys book I've had forever!  Good thing though I didn't make it sooner, because my mini 2.5 year old boy still swims a bit in the size 2/3.  I was worried it would be huge on him (this kid still wears 12-18 month shirts after all) but it's not tooo bad!

He isn't really picking his nose...ok maybe he is.

And the pattern comes together pretty easy so I can imagine making more of these in none stripy fabric in the future!  Perhaps I'll even make it with a hood like others have.


I have realized though that I'm definitely a lazy sewer most the time.  Exhibit A:  My reluctance to take out and resew the front seam to even it out (I had cut it out right!).  Exhibit B:  The uneven nature of the collar ends.  I think I realized this shirt would just be my trial version and thus no need to spend tons of time perfecting it anyways!

Next up? Blue car pants!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! This shirt has been on my list for a while too. My experience with that book is that everything runs kind of huge - size 2/3 is a big 3, etc. I'm not much of a perfectionist, either. I mean, take a good look at RTW clothes - most of the time the stripes don't match perfectly, but who cares? When I sew for myself, I am very precise and picky, but not so much for the kiddos. Life is too short. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...