Remember that maternity calendar shirt I made? It's now gone mini!!
Just like the author of the tutorial I made the shirt from did, I hacked mine up into a little romper for E! I wasn't ever going to wear the thing anyways, and this way he can get some use out of it, and it'll be a nice keepsake for us (imagine me bringing it out at his wedding? or passing it down to a grand-baby some day?) eek!
This shirt was of particular significance as I had really wanted to make it to 37 weeks with this baby, having had my older son early, and wanting to avoid the extra potential complications/interventions that can lead to and wanting to birth at home (which Midwives here can only let you do after 37 weeks). I particularly wanted to get to 38 weeks, as that would make things like jaundice even less likely. And I made it to 38 weeks and 1 day! And all that work produced one super cute baby (who's now already almost 2 months!)
I used this tutorial to make the romper, pretty straightforward stuff (despite it being in Dutch!) While I did get my Dutch mother to read it through I didn't really need her too, the pictures and a few quick checks on words with Google Translate were enough. The only thing it neglects to tell you is seam allowances, but I figure it was meant to be served, so I assumed 1/4 inch.
It came together super quick too, partially thanks again to my lovely new machine! Hand sewing on the snaps probably took the longest... I really should get snaps to use with the snap press I have lying around! I had to cut it on an angle to make sure the 38 week number appeared, but it worked! And he looks darn cute in it.